Carnival is renowned for its commitment to continually seeking out exciting new destinations that amaze passengers time after time. Now, the line has upped the ante and revealed that certain fleet members will now be calling Amber Cove Port, a purpose built cruise hub in the Dominican Republic. Remote and exotic yet still brimming with lively bars, luxurious plunge pools and unique shopping opportunities, the port is set to be a hit with Carnival passengers dreaming of a quintessential island paradise.
“There are several markets that are becoming increasingly important to the cruise industry, but today the Caribbean is the single largest share of our business,” said Giora Israel, senior vice president of global port and destination development for Carnival Corporation. “We are constantly looking for new ways for our guests to enjoy their cruise experience, and it is always exciting to add new destinations to our itineraries, especially in the Caribbean where many of our passengers have been before.
History and pleasure collide
While Amber Cove Port is an entirely new addition to the Dominican Republic, its Puerto Plata neighbour is famous as the first European settlement to pop up in the Americas. It was founded by Christopher Columbus (you may have heard of him!) and is brimming with fascinating colonial history.
Whittling away the days in a Caribbean paradise
For passengers in search of an archetypal Caribbean dream, Amber Cove Port is ready to deliver. The destination boasts a myriad of different activities, attractions and experiences that cater to all tastes. Here’s our pick of the best!
- Originally build to fend off pirates, Fort San Felipe is now a beguiling tourist attraction offering visitors spectacular views over the Atlantic Ocean from its strategic perch on Puntilla Del Malecón
- As the name suggests, Amber Cove Port is known for its extraordinarily high quality local amber. In fact, the region produces the clearest fossilised tree resin found anywhere on the planet!
- Those in search of a lively atmosphere will love strolling down the buzzing Malecón strip, a three mile open air beachside boardwalk peppered with restaurants, bars, cafes and shops. It’s the perfect place to cool down with an ice cold beer after a long day of sightseeing.
- From little ones with fish infatuations to adults with an interest in local marine life, Ocean World is a fantastic way to spend the day.
“We are confident that our guests will love visiting Amber Cove, which we believe will quickly become a very popular port of call for our guests. And because Amber Cove is easily accessible, it will give our guests a convenient gateway to the Puerto Plata region, which is spectacular. And importantly, Amber Cove will allow us to offer our guests a new option in our Caribbean itineraries,” adds Israel.
An array of awe inspiring shore excursions
As always, Carnival has complemented its call at Amber Cove Port with a handful of unique shore excursions that offer passengers utterly unique experiences. Here are a few of our favourites!
- Dolphin Swim & Ocean World Day Pass – Live out lifelong dreams of swimming with dolphins on this 20 minute deep water experience held at Ocean World.
- Paradise Island By Speed Boat & Snorkel – Spend a day soaking up the Caribbean sun on the remote beaches of Paradise Island.
- Beginner Scuba Diving – Love the idea of scuba diving but have never had the chance to get submerged? Now’s the time! This introductory course is perfect for beginners.
- Deep Sea Fishing Tour – Puerto Plata is famous for its big fish and this tour gives passengers a chance to get out on the open ocean and try their hand at reeling in their very own catch of the day.
- La Casa En la Playa (A Select Retreat) – Loved up couples in search of pure uninterrupted bliss will love the chance to sign up for this luxurious private getaway at an exclusive Dominican-style beach house. Spend the day indulging in a private chef, personal bartended and more!
- Outback Dominican Adventure – Get off the beaten track on this outback adventure that delves into the unique culture and history of the Dominican Republic. All on the back of a robust jungle truck!
- Outback Terracross Adventure – Thrill seekers will jump at the chance to get behind the wheel of a these ‘go anywhere’ terracross buggy. Zip through the countryside and soak up the sights, sounds and smells of the Dominican Republic jungle.
Images sourced via Flickr Creative Commons. Credits: David Stanley, Kim Seng, Karol Franks