For centuries humankind has been practicing yoga as a way to cleanse the mind, strengthen the body and soothe the soul. The physical, mental, and spiritual discipline has now well and truly made its mark in Western society, with people of all ages, shapes and walks of life hitting their mats for a healthy dose of Om.
If you’re a dedicated yogi the thought of giving up a daily or weekly class while on holiday may be a seriously unpleasant thought. Which leads many people to ask the question, ‘can I practice yoga on a cruise ship?’ Lucky for you the answer is yes! Thanks to state-of-the art facilities and professional teachers, perfecting your downward dog at-sea has never been easier. Here are some of our favourite studios.
- Royal Caribbean has always been a trendsetter when it comes to on-board health and fitness revolutions. The 45 minute ‘Pathway to Yoga’ classes are hugely popular while the fitness centre also offers plenty of space for passengers to carry out their own routines and poses.
- On-board Princess Cruises vessels passengers can hit up the Lotus Spa for a myriad of fitness programmes, including yoga classes. The specialised ‘Balance’ programme aims to help passengers achieve a deeper mind/body connection through introducing basic yoga poses and breathing techniques, as well as fusion classes that blend elements of Pilates. You’ll leave feeling strong, centred and stretched!
- What better way to end the day than with a blissfully relaxing sunset yoga session on-board a luxurious Azamara cruise ship? Classes are complimentary and accompanied by a fresh sea breeze and spectacular views over the open ocean!
- Every member of the Norwegian Cruise Line fleet boasts a state-of-the-art fitness centre that offers daily yoga classes for a small fee.
- Carnival loves to offer its passengers every experience in the book and this extends to yoga. Classes range from meditative stretching to intensive advanced levels that call for headstands, backbends and incomprehensible twists! Schedules are published on the daily Fun Times calendar.
Images sourced via Flickr Creative Commons. Credits: Tony Felgueiras